Grants Yorkshire Region
- Growth Grants Yorkshire
- Grants for R&D / Innovation
- Rural Grants
- Training & Employment
- Manufacturing & International Trade
Click on the title below to find out more about the grants available.
1. Growth GrantsLEP Resource Efficiency Fund
LEP Resource Efficiency Fund – Grants Yorkshire
This fund provides financial support and advice for SMEs looking to become more resource efficient in the way they do business. The fund will provide free efficiency essessments, hands-on business support and 50% capital grant funding of up to £10,000.
To be eligible for support, your business must be:
- fewer than 250 employees
- turnover of under c£40M OR a balance sheet of under c£35M
- Based in the Leeds City Region excluding Barnsley
- In an eligible sector – this generally excludes primary agriculture, banking and financial services, and those trading directly with consumers e.g retail and hospitality
- Able to provide evidence of your previous energy and resource consumption.
Business Growth Programme – Grants Yorkshire.
This grant is available through the Leeds City Regions Business Growth Programme and is linked to employment creation. Grants are focused on small and medium sized businesses, which have been trading for at least 12 months. Grants are primarily to support capital projects. In some cases it may be possible to support research and development activities.
Grants worth up to £250,000 (minimum project spend £50K) are available to businesses across the Leeds City Region to support business investment and expansion. The grants will cover up to 20% of the cost of investment in new premises, fit outs, capital equipment and machinery.
Key growth sectors include:
- Life sciences and related industries
- Digital and creative industries
- Low carbon and environmental industries
- Financial and business services
Digital Enterprise Scheme – Grants Yorkshire
- The programme offers ‘Digital Growth Vouchers’ to eligible businesses looking at investing in digital technology, to improve their business performance and achieve growth.
- Vouchers will range from £1,000 to a maximum of £5,000
- The voucher will contribute up to 40% of the total investment
Currently suspended for new applications, target date for re-opening June 2017
Let’s Grow North and East Yorkshire – Grants Yorkshire
Grant support for capital investment and R&D projects that will create new, sustainable jobs. Grants of £25,000 to £1,000,000 are available and the levels of support range from 10% to 25% of the eligible project expenditure. Lets Grow will support the following:
- Business expansion and diversification
- Manufacturing businesses and service sector businesses offering more than a local service
- Must be SMEs located within North Yorkshire, the City of York and the East Riding of Yorkshire
For further information contact Let’s Grow on 0191 380 8434
2. Access to FinanceUK Steel Enterprise
UK Steel Enterprise – Grants Yorkshire
UKSE is the wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Steel est 1975 to help in regeneration of communities affected by changes in the steel industry. The company focuses on SMEs to help create jobs & wealth by providing funding and high quality workshop and office accommodation.
The scheme provides a package of support including grant funding alongside UK Steel Enterprise loans or equity/loan packages from £25,000 to £750,000 for start-ups or growing businesses on a B2B basis. The amount of grant available will depend on a number of factors and is between 10 & 35% of eligible expenditure.
Successful applications must:
- demonstrate the creation of sustainable jobs or safeguard jobs which would otherwise be lost;
- be planning expenditure on capital assets;
- have a commercially viable business plan;
- comply with State Aid regulations.
For areas covered and further details see www.uksteelenterprise.co.uk
Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund (NPIF) – Grants Yorkshire
Microfinance £25K-£100K for recent start-ups and existing SME businesses seeking to borrow £25K-£100K to kickstart activity.
Debt Finance £100K-£750K for SMEs needing to borrow larger amounts to finance growth.
Equity Finance £50K-£2M for SMEs with ambitious growth plans seeking an equity injection up to £2M.
Enterprise Finance Guarantee Scheme – Grants Yorkshire
Whilst not specific to the Yorkshire region, this government scheme has been introduced to encourage banks to lend to SME’s by providing the lender with a 75% government-backed guarantee for eligible loans/overdrafts up to £1M.
Funding for Lending Scheme – Grants Yorkshire
This is a scheme to provide cheaper loans to small businesses not provide a guarantee of part of the loan like the EFG scheme (see above). As such, businesses will remain subject to the banks’ usual lending criteria.
Businesses with an annual turnover of up to £50M that take out an unsecured loan under this new scheme will receive a discount of 1% on the interest rate that they would otherwise receive from participating banks.
2. Grants for R&D / InnovationPAPI Product & Process Innovation
PAPI (Product & Process Innovation) – Grants Yorkshire
Available to help small businesses to improve their products and processes by providing grants for equipment which enables innovation. 40% grant for equipment that enables innovation, up to a maximum grant value of £20K, which generates regional economic growth and jobs.
Companies must be based in York, North Yorkshire or East Riding and meet the definition of a SME. Companies must be engaged with the following sectors:
- Digital & creative media
- Food and drink
- Health and social care
- Manufacturing using biological & chemical materials
Biorenewables Flexible Project Funding – Grants Yorkshire
The BDC has secured further ERDF funding to help Yorkshire businesses grow through bio-based innovations. The BDC is offering 120 pre-funded projects for eligible local businesses by 2018 – to be delivered by professional scientists or business specialists.
A huge variety of grant funding is available for different types of businesses exploring innovation opportunities and sustainable technologies.
For further information or to see if you are eligible contact Biorenewables Development Centre York on 01904 328040
Horizon 2020 is a research and innovation programme within the European Funding Programme with nearly €80 bn of funding over 7 years (2014 – 2020)
Relevant to SME’s specialising in leading-edge research in fields such as ICT, Bioinformatics, Nanotechnology, Design, Innovation etc. Grants of potentially up to €3m available per SME.
Innovation Vouchers are designed to encourage businesses to look outside their current network for new knowledge which can help them to grow and develop. SME’s (including Start-ups) from across the UK can apply for an Innovation Voucher, which is provided by the technology Strategy Board.
A grant of up to £5,000 is available to businesses to work with a supplier for the first time and is used to pay for knowledge or technology transfer from that supplier.
The voucher has three key criteria:
- The idea should be a challenge for the business which means specialist help is required;
- This should be the first time that the business has worked with the knowledge supplier;
- The idea should be applicable to one of the three priority sectors.
European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme – Grants Yorkshire
Grant scheme designed to support investment in the rural tourism sector in the rural areas of North Yorkshire & the East Riding. Key features as follows:
- The priority is increasing the number of visitors to the area
- The LEP is looking for businesses with plans to bring more visitors to the area, encourage those visitors to stay longer, and provide them with more to do
- Min £35K; Max £500K
- Projects must be located within rural parts of York, North Yorkshire and East Riding LEP area
- Businesses can apply for a grant to cover up to 50% of the project’s total eligible costs – up to 100% for non-profit making organisations
- Application windows will open and close over the next 2 years (2015-2017)
3. Rural GrantsYorkshire Dales LEADER Programme
Yorkshire Dales LEADER Programme
The LEADER Programme will distribute £2.23M for rural projects benefiting the area slightly larger than the Yorkshire Dales, including Nidderdale, Ripon, Skipton & Catterick. It is aimed at enterprises and farming businesses and has been set up to address the problems of ‘rurality’ with a focus on job creation and growth.
Grants are for a maximum of 40% of the project costs and are typically in the £5,000 to £35,000 region and there are three main categories as follows:
- The Yorkshire Dales Enterprise Scheme (Micro and small business)
This scheme provides support for micro and small businesses (less than 49 full-time equivalent employees). The grant is for both new and existing businesses and is aimed at any project that will:
-Benefit from the rollout of existing superfast and high quality fixed or wireless broadband infrastructure.
-Support the establishment or expansion of construction and specialised construction businesses.
-Establish or expand food and drink businesses, developing local food supply chains, clusters and networks.
- The Yorkshire Dales Enterprise Scheme (farm diversification)
This scheme provides support for farmers and farm businesses which require capital assistance for farm diversification activities to non-agricultural activity and non-standard agriculture diversification or added value to local product.
- Yorkshire Dales Tourism Development Scheme
This scheme provides support for the tourism sector and tourism businesses which require capital for projects that will improve the quality of the tourism “offer” by creating new experiences and/or enhancing existing tourism facilities; improve the visitor experience; increase visitor spend; and support the identity of the area.
The deadline for round one outline applications is 9th March but there will be further rounds about every 3 – 6 months.
4. Training & EmploymentSkills Support for the Workforce
Skills Support for the Workforce – Grants Yorkshire
If you’re an SME based in York, North Yorkshire or East Riding, you may be eligible for free training through the Skills Support for the Workforce project. The programme has been designed to help deliver the LEP skills strategy across these 8 priority sectors:
- Food manufacture
- Voluntary, community and Social Enterprise
- Visitor economy and Health and Social Care
For further information follow this link: http://ssw.fundingunit.org.uk/areas/york-north-yorkshire-and-east-riding/
Training & Development – Grants Yorkshire
- The cost of employee training can be fully or partially covered (depending upon employee age and other circumstances) under initiatives provided by the Skills Funding Agency/BIS: http://skillsfundingagency.bis.gov.uk/
The Leeds City Region LEP Apprenticeship Programme – Grants Yorkshire
Set up to engage with and provide independent, free support to SME’s across the City Region to offer apprenticeship opportunities. It is being delivered in partnership with the 8 local authorities of:
- Barnsley, Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds, North Yorkshire (Harrogate, Craven & Selby), Wakefield and York.
- The National Apprenticeship Service will provide grants to eligible employers, in respect of qualifying apprentices, with an individual value of £1,500.
- Employers can be paid ten grants in total during the lifetime of the initiative.
- Eligibility – Employers with less than 1,000 employees, who are new to apprenticeships or haven’t enrolled a new recruit or existing employee onto an Apprenticeship Programme in the previous 12 months.
Any business interested in the new service and any young person keen to change direction and take up an apprenticeship can get more information by emailing Karen at: email@example.com.
Skills Funding For Engineering Companies
Engineering companies with fewer than 250 employees are able to apply for a share of a BIS £10m match funding pot to develop innovative company-specific training.
The minimum grant, which a company would need to match with their own money, is £10,000.
Applications for funding are open until 27 February, or until funds are allocated, and can be accessed through the following link:
Support is now available to help SME’s identify the skills required to achieve their business growth objectives. Whether it is developing workforce’s skills, providing tailored training or designing a new course the Skills Service can guide you through the process.
If businesses have a budget to contribute towards training, they could also be eligible for funding of between £500 and £50,000.
To be eligible for skills funding the business must:
- Be based in the Leeds City Region (ie the whole of West Yorks & parts of North & South Yorks)
- Employ fewer than 250 people
- Annual turnover of less than £40million
- Be in one of the priority sectors
- Able to provide a contribution to the cost of training – minimum 50%
5. Environmental/GreenCarbon Trust
Carbon Trust – Grants Yorkshire
1.Low Carbon Building Design Advice Service (UK)
This service includes a detailed printed guide and face-to-face consultancy. The amount of consultancy time you receive depends on the project size and the potential carbon savings. Design Advice helps to identify the carbon savings in new and renovation projects, offering free or subsidised consultancy advice to help throughout the project stages.
Although the consultancy services are often free, they do expect a level of commitment in return, in the form of producing case studies and recording the actual measures you choose to implement. Direct funding is not available, but the scheme will help businesses and organisations save money through increased energy efficiency.
2.Green Equipment Funding Scheme
This is a finance scheme for green equipment from Carbon Trust and Siemens to enable UK organisations to invest in cost effective energy efficiency equipment and other low carbon technologies (eg new efficient lighting, biomass heating etc).
Schemes should enable the financing to pay for itself through energy savings and result in no net cost to the business.
Green Investment Bank – for large-scale (>£10M) green projects: http://www.bis.gov.uk/greeninvestmentbank
6. Manufacturing & International TradeInternational Trade Assistance, via UK Trade & Investment
International Trade Assistance, via UK Trade & Investment – Grants Yorkshire
UKTI offer a number of subsidised international trade services for importers and exporters, including the following…
- Passport to Export Scheme: subsidised assistance for the less experienced exporters
- Gateway to Global Growth: for experienced exporters
- Overseas Market Introduction Service: subsidised assistance via overseas embassies & consulates
- Trade Show Access Programme: support for trade shows & relevant events
- Export Communications Review
- Other free and subsidised services, support & events